Thursday, August 20, 2009

Different But the Same

My children grew up in the "you're so special" generation. "You're unique" "There's only one you", "You can be anything you want to be".
I believed it for them. I spoke it to them and I tried to make sure they believed it too.

I grew up in a Christian home. A very religious Christian home. A very religious and legalistic Christian home. Religion says "do this and this, don't do this and this". Legalism says "do this only this way". I felt unique and special but I felt I was different from other people because I didn't "do that". I did everything "right" and didn't do anything "wrong". I was stunned when life slapped me up the side of my head. That was the turning point. The turning point to freedom. When life happened to me I realized doing everything right did not protect me and I was no more unique or special or different than anyone else.

We're all the same on the heart level. We were all born with a sinful heart and needing salvation. And it doesn't matter whether we sin an itty-bitty little sin or a great big whopper. It's all the same. All part of the cess pool of sin. I am unable to even begin to describe the freedom that comes with accepting "All have sinned" as meaning me. And to realize that my very thoughts are sinful, my words are sinful, my motives are sinful and that I am in need of continual forgiveness. Continual confession brings forgiveness, and forgiveness purifies and brings freedom. Freedom to do anything I want to do, be anything I want to be, go anywhere I want to go, say anything I want to say. I am free because my will has become purified and it desires to choose only what is honorable, holy and acceptable to God. Through confession the Holy Spirit leads me in knowing what that is. Freedom feels so free I just don't want to mess it up.


2 comments:

Pleasant Drive said...

Oh, Sandy, you hit the nail on the head with this one! I could talk for hours and hours about the limits that legalism puts on our ability to influence the world for Christ. And, I think it is a BIG problem in many Christian homes. Great thoughts!

SG said...

Thank you Lindsey.

Search This Blog

Loading...