Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Grandmothers and Granddaughters


For the most part we don't understand the vital relationship of a grandmother. Especially to a granddaughter and then even more so to a first born granddaughter. I am a first born granddaughter. My heart swells and my eyes tear when I think about my Grandmother and then I struggle to find words to express how life giving her love was for me.

When I was with my Grandmother it felt like she and I were the only two people in the world and like we had nothing to do except what I could think of. When I was little I played quietly, securely surrounded by her love and total acceptance. As I grew I colored and cut-out paper dolls and played Barbies and make-believe. I slept in the twin bed in the same room as hers and woke up to pancakes with Karo syrup. She let me write the grocery list even though she had to spell everything for me. She made me a beautiful aqua blue taffeta dress out of someone's worn once bridesmaid's dress. She let me wear my Sunday shoes and tap dance on the back porch. She shared the receiver with me and let me listen in on her church friend's phone conversation. I'll never forget her ParkerHouse Rolls, fried chicken, cooked carrots and brown sugar frosting and walking to the market.

When I was 10 years old we moved to Oklahoma, a thousand miles away from my Grandma and life changed forever. She and I wrote letters and she came to visit and we went to visit but it was never the same. I'll never forget when I was 17 pulling out of her driveway and I started crying and I couldn't stop. I didn't know why. I didn't know that was the last time I would see my Grandma when she actually knew who I was.

Life is so short. Life is so fleeting. I'll see my Grandma in heaven when we're all with the Lord. Sometimes I just can't wait!

1 comment:

Pleasant Drive said...

You are so in tune with details. I love that about you. This is a wonderfully crafted post.

Search This Blog

Loading...