Saturday, October 24, 2009

Fixing Versus Creating

Mike and I have issues. Food issues. I think the perfect meal is Sugar-free, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, vegetables, and for real perfection 85% raw, 15% cooked. His perfect meal is 1/3 pound hamburger meat, fried, served on bread with mustard. He prefers food fixed, I prefer food created. Not invented but created. I get much enjoyment out of searching for recipes and than creating them in my kitchen. I love to bake. He doesn't care much about baked goods and is just as happy with Vanilla Wafers and Oreo's.

I tried fixing food the way he likes it, but I loathe frying and I truly did not get that deep satisfaction that comes from creating. He'll eat vegetables and he says they're good and he doesn't mind an all vegetable meal as long as he can have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich after.

For 12 years we have "solved" our dilemma by going out to eat. Really I was only avoiding the frustration, and missing out on a very big part of house and home. Homemaking is my calling and my highest joy and contentment second only to my grandchildren.

I've realized that I can not make him eat the way I feel is best just because it's best for me and it seems only logical that's it's best for him. That may be logical but it's not necessarily true. So now I am at peace with doing both, fixing and creating. We are blessed and just one step closer to A Little Bit of Heaven.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I wonder if you could get a little creative with his type of food and get him to like some new things that way. I'm glad you've found a way to make it work, though, and aren't forcing your food on him.

Search This Blog

Loading...