Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Perfect Breakfast


This is not a food blog. However I have posted several posts lately whose main theme is food, but this is not a food blog. Food just happens to be a main interest for me right now. And you know what happened this morning? I made the perfect breakfast. I love biscuits for breakfast and have been trying to make a gluten-free, dairy-free drop biscuit for about a month now. I used a recipe by Linda at The Gluten-Free Homemaker which was changed slightly by Debbie Ross at The Gluten-Free 'Dish' and then I tweeked it a little more because when I stirred up the recipe it was more like pancake batter than drop biscuit batter so I added some of Amy Green's High-Protein Gluten-Free Flour Mix. I scooped and dropped the batter and baked it and they were perfect! Next time I will make them smaller because one thing I have noticed about Gluten-Free is that I eat less and feel more satisfied and nourished longer.

What's the green stuff on my plate? That's Kale.

I grew up in the 60's in suburbia. It was a time when homemakers were moving away from the country farm and home gardens and into convenience. My mother's food budget did not allow for foods we may not like so I never had Kale growing up and I did the same thing with my children. A couple of days ago I went to the store to buy Kale because I am intrigued by Amy Green's recipe for Kale Chips. I had to search the labels on the different greens because I didn't know which one was which. This morning when I took the twisty-tie off the bunch of Kale and looked at the leaf I realized it's the dark green stuff framing the ice on a salad bar separating the salads. I was impressed with how dark green the leaf is and how dense it felt. I had read a recipe by Gluten-Free Gidget which used steamed Kale so I steamed it and I kept tasting it so I'd know how to season it but it was so good, kind of a cross between brocolli and cabbage, that I just drizzled a little Extra Virgin Olive Oil on it. I scramble two eggs in my seasoned cast iron skillet. I put it all together with a cup of hot tea and voilla! The Perfect Breakfast!

2 comments:

Linda said...

Sounds like a great breakfast. I'm glad the biscuits turned out well for you.

Thanks for linking up. The link you posted was incorrect, though, so some people weren't able to get here. I've corrected it now. It's probably best to just copy and paste the link. Anyway, I'm glad you joined in.

Brian said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Search This Blog

Loading...