Sunday, December 27, 2009

One More Week



If I could have one more week with my Dad, I'd make sure every time we passed each other I touched his arm, and each and every time we parted I'd give him a kiss and a hug and tell him I love him. I'd listen to him tell the "Brass Ring" story as many times as he wanted and I'd listen as if it were the first time. I'd listen attentively and ask questions as he showed me his High School Yearbook. I'd look at the picture of his mother and say how beautiful she was. Then on:

SUNDAY - I would sit by him in church and place my hand through his arm while we're standing to sing hymns out of the hymnal. After church I would sit by him at the table as we're enjoying a delicious Sunday dinner prepared by my Mother. I would make sure his iced tea glass stayed full and I'd make him a peanut butter and jelly sandwich after or get his desert depending on which one he wanted. I'd watch Nascar with him in the afternoon and Jack Hayford in the evening.

MONDAY - I would go to work with him at the frame shop and work tirelessly shrink wrapping signed and numbered prints so he could add them to his inventory for sale.

TUESDAY - I would walk 5 miles with him at the walking park even if I had to sit on one of the benches along the way and then catch up.

WEDNESDAY - I would watch as many Gaither Homecoming Videos as he wanted and sing along after or before listening to The Statler Brothers.

THURSDAY - I would have him show me one more time how to balance my checkbook in Quicken and how to sign up for online billpay.

FRIDAY - I would help him clean the fish pond and notice all the baby fish and comment on how much the big fish are growing. I would help him weed around all the foliage in the backyard and listen as he told me about each plant.

SATURDAY - I'd sit in the "co-pilot's" chair in the RV, share his bag of licorce Twizzlers with him and help him watch the road.

Since I would know that this night was his last, I'd tell him I love him one last time before he fell asleep and I'd ask him to bless me as his first-born child. Then I'd lie down on the floor in his room and listen to his every breath. When the end was near I'd tell him, "Good-Bye. See you later. I love you."

1 comment:

Donald said...

Sandy,

Your mom gave me your blog address. I was just looking at your comments about your dad along with the brass ring story. (it is on my web pages too) It is not easy to write this with tears in my eyes.

I miss you Sandy,

Uncle Don

(use donpond@gmail.com for your reply rather than where it was from)

Search This Blog

Loading...