Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Search is Over

Have you ever noticed that even after you buy something you've been looking at for a long time, like a house or a car or a piece of furniture, an appliance or even a special outfit you have a tendency to keep looking to make sure you made the right choice? Or maybe I'm the only one but I catch myself doing this, or I used to.

When Mike and I met he told his daughter, "I've found someone who shares my same beliefs." And he did. We are so like-minded, mentally, emotionally, spiritally it's almost unbelievable. And maybe that was my problem, unbelief. After we were married he'd comment to me, "You're still searching." I didn't understand what he was talking about. He'd say, "There's nothing out there. You're all I've ever wanted, we have everything." He is all I've ever wanted too and I knew we had everything.

Several months after we were married a family member was driving through town and stopped long enough for an early dinner and a brief visit. We went to a chinese buffet and at the end of the meal, as expected, the server brought each of us a fortune cookie. Mike opened his and it read, "Stop searching forever, happiness is just next to you." I leaned over his shoulder and read along then I smiled and felt good inside. Not knowing what to expect but full of anticipation I opened my cookie. It read, "Stop searching forever, happiness is just next to you." There were four other people at the table and their sayings were all different. It was one of those divine moments.

That was twelve years ago. I can honestly say I am no longer searching. I am sorry it has taken me so long to believe, trust and get settled. The Lord has blessed us with each other, and all the necessities of life. He has blessed us with wonderful capable children who have families and careers and lives of their own. We have grandchildren, (just a little bit of heaven). We have each other. We are of one heart, one mind, one soul, one goal, one intent. We have good health and most of all we have The Word, The Lord God and Jesus Christ who is the glue that holds it all together. We have everything.

It's an awesome state of being to not know the future but to know Who holds the future. There's an extreme sense of peace to no longer search. This is contentment I did not know existed. I am very thankful. We are very blessed.

2 comments:

Amy said...

That's really cool and I'm not at all surprised that you both had the same fortune!! So, have you kept them in a special box-oh keeper of not very many things? WOW! That's awesome!

Sandy said...

Cute Sweet! "Oh keeper of not many things" - very cute. Yes I do have one scrapebook/photo album with things in it. Love You.

Search This Blog

Loading...